Sunday, April 12, 2015

AdviceWithASide :: Imperfect {Toast Topping Ideas Recipe}

The I'm not perfect. And please don't take this the wrong way, but, you're not perfect either.
Life is not, and will never be, perfect.
{Unless you're having a slice of this. Then maybe it gets close. Scroll all the way down for the recipe.}




We all make mistakes. It's an inherent quality of being human.
I'm sure that's repetitive, so redundant of me to reiterate a comfort that you've surely heard before.
But just because society has a basic understanding of how we are not perfect doesn't mean that society isn't groomed to expect perfection.


This last Thursday, Brookstone had its Fine Arts festival, a British Isles extravaganza that featured performances from our band, chorus, dance team, and theatre folks. I was going to do the "double, double, toil and trouble" Macbeth scene with some friends, as well as accompany for the chorus's songs. The piano pieces I was to play were not within my comfort zone just yet (inconvenient on the day of the show, right?), and being myself, I had to talk about my anxiety to everyone that would listen.


And I realized that the comfort I received would always come along the lines of, "I'm sure you'll do fine." In other words, you won't make a mistake, I trust you.
I did end up completely messing up the last song towards the end, but that's another story.
I mean, I did make a mistake. So perhaps, prepping words more like, "even if you do mess up, we're all human," would have made for a more rested self.


Because I guess we forget that it's okay to make mistakes. (Disclaimer: I am in no way trying to put down the people that were trying to encourage me. I fully appreciated your kindness and this was just a musing for my philosophies in the world.)
I just think that it's probably the best to not strive to be mistakeless. (Disclaimer #2: I know that I am just about the biggest perfectionist in the world, so again, maybe not the one to say this for people to listen, but I am regardless one to believe this.) Instead, we should be determined to root our worth in the things that we can't mess up.
Alex, the lady that leads our freshman girls bible study, stands out as someone that simply exudes this confidence in imperfection. In tearing down standards that don't matter. Whenever I see her and I'll inform her about my apprehension for the tests that day, she'll simply respond with, "I hope you do good, but remember, you are more than your grades."


And heck yes.
You're more than your grades.
You're more than your reputation.
You're more than your appearance.
You're more than anything that you could possibly "mess up" in.
Because one great thing about being utterly helpless and imperfect is that we have a Redeemer who is here to be perfect for us.
And once He is in you, you automatically become perfect through God's eyes, and there is no way to mess that up.


So as with these slices of toast, you can see that they are not perfect. They were not a recipe followed to a T. They were impromptu things in the fridge that sounded good together, thrown on slices of toast. The slices were higher in fat, but so what? It's amazingly healthy for you. Besides, sometimes, it's a relief not to be perfect.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...