Monday, January 19, 2015

Eat&Evaluate : Selma {MLK Day Tribute Chocolate Truffle Balls, Raw, Vegan}

What's Special:
One thing I need to say first about Martin Luther King: husbands must take example of the role he didn't prohibit his wife to rise up to. Coretta Scott King was an activist right along with her husband, took over when he was assassinated, and is the very reason we have a nationally recognized memorial day. And yes, he completely deserves it.


Why I Went to See It:
This is probably not the best motive, but if we are being completely honest, extra credit was quite a bit of motivation in my consumerism to the theater. But on the way there, in attempt to illicit real daughter-to-father talk, I asked the deep, "what do you want me to do with life?" question. And while we bantered back-and-forth between generations, I came to the realization that while for years I had answered the questioned with a vague blanket when asked by fellow adults, when I said I wanted to be a "storyteller," that was perfectly true. I want to use my words, use my pictures, my dialogue, my lyrics, and my film to tell stories. But I also want to make an impact on the world. Activism had become a passion as high school left new marks of knowledge on my opinions. This, I realized as I sat in the car on the way to see a peaceful hero memorialized in a story told, was exactly how I wanted to live my life. Like Mr. King, with a modest goal in mind that gave glory to God with his given talent with words, yet unquestionably willing to step in when a difference in the world was needed.


What Is It:
Selma directed by Ava DuVernay, starring David Oyelowo as MLK and Carmen Ejogo as CSK. This is a movie that takes documentary, then carefully crafts it with the emotion it needs to become a work of art that blends the involvement of fiction with the reality of history. You can sit in the theater, surrounded by others as passionate for this message as you, and understand that this is the past. Yet you can identify with each leader that the camera centers focus on, complete with the sense of relation that any movie would typically give you. This is a clever and relatable retelling of the fight of Martin Luther King in the steps of the Civil Rights Movement, without losing contact on the true meaning of events.


The Evaluation:
There were times when my friend and I literally gaped in moved incredulity and covered our mouths. The script was beyond brilliant, sculpting out the harshness of each detail in MLK's fight. The characters were convincing and in step with the chronology of the movie. The scene cuts are concisely effective for following, without losing the moments that need taking for any poignant responses. Your feeling and empathy can be exercised without becoming overwhelmed, and there is so much in this piece that is so closely relatable, there will be moments when you feel an impulse to shout in agreement, or clap with encouragement. There are also times when you will be so engrossed and moved by the happenings on-screen that you forget to move. All of this you feel in order for the movie's true message to come across, and you understand deeply what it was like to fight against the injustice of the 1960s.


The Rating:
I rate this a papaya. Papaya is one of the most memorable fruits in my favorites because it's taste is truly like no other. It's pungent and unpleasant at first, but once you get accustomed to it, it becomes incredibly delectable and sweet in its contents. It is also full of seeds that are hard to digest, but are amazingly cleansing.


The Audience:
This is a must see for anyone still living in the ignorance of the real-life facts of the Civil Rights Movement. History exists for us to keep as wisdom, no? Take a look at this and understand the cruelty that was indeed very real, and we need to never go back.


The Eat: I made an accidental version of these a while back, then I decided to mess around with flavors and refine the recipe. Now here you go! Nutty, dark chocolate-y, and purely filling and delicious!

Raw Vegan Chocolate Truffle Balls

By Prep School Health Freak
Published: January 19, 2015
Here is a dessert tribute to the King himself, packed with superfood power and a good dose of Omega-3!

Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: None - RAW
Total time: 20 minutes
Yield: 14-15 balls

Serving size: eat what you are hungry for (;
Calories per serving: what you deserve to eat
Fat per serving: this is a high carb low fat raw vegan recipe

Ingredients:
Dates, Medjool: 1 1/2 cup, approx. 12 dates
Raw Cacao Powder: 2 tablespoons
Oats, Raw: 1 1/2 cup
Flaxseed, Ground, Raw: 2 tablespoons
Organic Burst Maca Powder: 1 tablespoon
>> Need: food processor
***
Directions:
  1. Pit the dates.
  2. Place all ingredients in food processor.
  3. Pulse.
  4. Now, scoop out approx. 1 tablespoon's worth at a time, and roll into balls.
  5. Eat your fill, then store them in an airtight container.
  6. Isn't that delectable?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...